Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Module 3: Quality Questioning Part 1

As a future teacher, I am hoping for a quality-questioning classroom. I want my classroom to be open for all students when learning about new concepts; as in, I want my students to be willing to open their minds and explore new ways to understand something they are not sure about. I want to always keep my students engaged; I think every teacher has this goal. Allowing students to listen to what you are saying and asking, giving them the appropriate amount of time to think and then respond, I believe I as a teacher, will receive a more positive answer than just a blank stare. Students need to be able to learn facts, understand them and then apply the facts learned to their lessons and homework, instead of just memorizing information. I hope to always be a thorough teacher when preparing my students to learn new concepts. I also want my students to be able to learn with different techniques that I learn personally as a teacher in that I will be able to relate to each student’s own way of learning.

After reviewing the rubric for formulating and assessing quality questions, I think it will help me as a future teacher to build up to ask an effective question to students when I am teaching a lesson. The rubric is well organized based on the type of question a teacher may or may not be asking now, and offering other tactics to build up to an excelling quality question. I want my students to be able to answer my questions successfully but that will require me to ask questions based on their learning ability.

I am not teaching yet, so I do not specifically have a teaching style. After looking over the chart for response strategies and instructional purposes, I think they all look to be successful. In my first year of teaching, I think I will use more than one or two of these strategies, just to see which will work better in my specific classroom with the students I have at the time. I think these strategies will change from year to year as I have new students who will learn differently from prior students.

The posters for student and teacher activity in relation to quality questioning are great visuals to hang in the classroom so that students and the teacher can always be aware of how to ask questions, how to answer them, what is expected, what is wanted from teacher or student, etc. I remember sitting in classrooms afraid to answer because I may or may not have had the right answer. I do not want to have my students afraid to be vocal in my classroom. Therefore, these posters will be a helpful tool to always ask questions on learning ability, they will remind me to be quiet so students can think, and also to not always be the one talking.


“Redirects question to another student.” I think this response will be challenging. I say that because this statement really can go multiple ways. I feel like some teachers do not get a decent response from someone and just moves to the next student without explaining why the first response may have not been all the way correct. Also, I feel like teachers may ask a student and receive the correct answer but also ask a student the same question over, if their mind seems to be wondering. So, this statement can be used for multiple meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment